Background 01

Verse for Today

"I will instruct thee and teach thee in the way which thou shalt go; I will guide thee with mine eye." Psalm 32:8

Monday, March 21, 2011

Escaping Temptations

There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it. (1 Corinthians 10:13)



Temptations come in many different packages. Some temptations are bound in a book, others are burned on DVD. Others are in glossy magazines or blogs or conversations or stores or thoughts. Every single person has temptations – we’re not alone! “There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man.” It is somewhat comforting to know that others struggle too, but it is still discouraging. How can that help me today with my temptation?

Perhaps we should look at the source of temptations: “Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man: But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed.” (James 1:13-14) Notice that we are tempted when we are drawn away of our own lust. God cannot tempt us with evil, but as we see in 1 Corinthians 10:13, He does give us a way to escape! With every temptation, there are always two paths from which to choose: one is our own lust drawing us away; the other is God making a way for us to escape. Our sinful nature wants to give into temptation. As a result, we often overlook God’s way of escape, but it is always there.

If our temptation is reading too much, His way to escape might be to pass by the bookshelf leaving the books untouched. If our temptation is wasting time playing games, His way to escape might be staying off the computer/game system completely. If our temptation lies in thinking about things we should not, His way to escape might be to put our thoughts elsewhere (praying for someone, memorizing a verse). There are hundreds of different ways to escape. We just need to ask God to show them to us and then keep our eyes open so that we can see them.

Drawn by Aldona Barron (see below)

As a personal testimony, I know that it works! When I have been tempted to watch something that I shouldn’t, the way of escape has often been to leave the room. Once, it was to simply stay in my bedroom when the television was turned on. God is always faithful. Whenever I feel a temptation coming on, all I need to do is ask my Father to show me His way to escape and if I really want to resist, I can easily see a path winding away from the temptation.










~~~
Guest Artist, Aldona Barron: 
"My name is 'Aldona Barron.' I am a Christian young woman who is seeking to know Christ more and more, trying to please Him in all I do and say."
He must increase, but I must decrease. John 3:30

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...