Background 01

Verse for Today

"I will instruct thee and teach thee in the way which thou shalt go; I will guide thee with mine eye." Psalm 32:8

Saturday, February 25, 2012

Fear

By Amanda T.
{Note: while I did not write this specifically for the topic of our thought-life, I have found that many times, fear invades our thoughts and steals our peace}


Image from PrintMaster Gold
“What is happening to my America?” This was a question posed by a lady who feared the changes that have been made in our country. As Christians, we also ask the same question, with the same tinge of fear. What is happening to our country? What will happen to us? What freedoms are going to be taken away? We have no peace. Why? Because we are all fearing instead of trusting.

What is fear? The modern dictionary defines fear as “a feeling of anxiety and agitation caused by the presence or nearness of danger, evil, pain, etc.” but I believe that God’s Word defines it much better.

Fear is not from the Lord:
For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father. (Romans 8:15)
For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind. (2 Timothy 1:7-9)

Fear is lack of love:
There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love. I John 4:18

Fear is lack of trust:
What time I am afraid, I will trust in thee. In God I will praise his word, in God I have put my trust; I will not fear what flesh can do unto me. Psalm 56:3-4
The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? the LORD is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid? Though an host should encamp against me, my heart shall not fear: though war should rise against me, in this will I be confident. Psalm 27:1, 3

When we spend time in God’s Word, it should cause our fear to come crashing down. Our Heavenly Father has given us many promises that we should hide in our hearts to combat the devil’s weapon of fear.

 God is always with us:
Be strong and of a good courage, fear not, nor be afraid of them: for the LORD thy God, he it is that doth go with thee; he will not fail thee, nor forsake thee. Deuteronomy 31:6
 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. Psalm 23:4
I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee. (Hebrews 13:5b)
Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness. Isaiah 41:10

Image from PrintMaster Gold
The Lord is always ready to help:
God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. Therefore will not we fear, though the earth be removed, and though the mountains be carried into the midst of the sea; Though the waters thereof roar and be troubled, though the mountains shake with the swelling thereof. Psalm 46:1-3

The Lord will watch over us:
Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? and one of them shall not fall on the ground without your Father. But the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Fear ye not therefore, ye are of more value than many sparrows. Matthew 10:29-31

The Lord will protect us:
The LORD is on my side; I will not fear: what can man do unto me? Psalm 118:6
Be not afraid of sudden fear, neither of the desolation of the wicked, when it cometh. For the LORD shall be thy confidence, and shall keep thy foot from being taken. Proverbs 3:25-26

The Lord does not intend to do evil to us:
Fear not, little flock; for it is your Father's good pleasure to give you the kingdom. Luke 12:32
For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end. Jeremiah 29:11

How can there be peace with fear? There cannot. Peace comes by simply trusting God, loving God, and determining to push away any fear when it arises.


I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety.
Psalm 4:8




No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...