Background 01

Verse for Today

"I will instruct thee and teach thee in the way which thou shalt go; I will guide thee with mine eye." Psalm 32:8

Monday, February 4, 2013

A Separate Life (Part One)


 By Erika T. (read her blog here)

I see something in my generation which concerns me very much: a lack of holiness.

1 Peter 1:16 gives a very clear commandment to each Christian: “Be ye holy; for I am holy.” It seems impossible - and from the human standpoint, it is. However, when God asks us to do something, He also gives us the strength to obey.

Several verses show us how to live a holy life, a life separate from the world (Remember the saying: “It’s not about living as close to the world as you can, but about living as far from the world as you can”). I’d like to explain a little about how we can apply these verses to our lives, so we can live as God desires and asks.

First, I would like to notice Ephesians 5:3, “But fornication, and all uncleanness, or covetousness, let it not be once named among you, as becometh saints”. I wonder at the carelessness in our conversations. I have heard young people casually mention many sins and sometimes even joke about them . . . and we are expected to laugh! Are we not believers? Does God not call us “holy”? Such banter is not right. In fact, according to Ephesians 5: 11 & 12, it is embarrassing (At least, it should be)! “And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather reprove them. For it is a shame even to speak of those things which are done of them in secret.”

1 Thessalonians 5:22 states, Abstain from all appearance of evil.” This verse mentions that evil exists in many different appearances or forms. Therefore, we are not simply required to abstain from “obvious” sins. The commandment is a bit more general: “all appearance.” According to the dictionary, “to abstain” means to deprive yourself of something. So, if I listen to songs that speak of any type of sin, am I abstaining from all evil? When I watch a movie in which sin is represented, or perhaps is only insinuated, am I abstaining from all evil? God asks me to avoid all forms of evil. Thoughts, movies, books, songs, conversations, magazines or television programs that contain even a little bit of sin have some form of evil. Am I willing to obey the command of God (notice: not suggestion) and abstain from every form of evil?

Romans 8:7 & 8 mentions something drastic, “Because the carnal mind is enmity against God:  for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.” This verse made me think of the motivation for us to watch unclean movies, listen to impure songs and read pages that display sin. Why do we? Because we want to. If we did not, others could not talk us into it or “make” us do it. We are simply following the will of our flesh. But that is a problem. We are believers; we are here to serve God. When we follow our own fleshly will, we not only dishonor God, we act as God’s enemy! How could I possibly be content acting like God is my enemy in order to cater to my whims? If I, as a Christian, live according to the desires of my flesh, I cannot please God. It is that simple.

So, how can we abandon the fleshly desires and live according to the will of God?
. . . come back tomorrow to read the answers!

About Erika:
I'm Erika Simone, a missionary kid who loves to sing, read and write. I've lived in Mexico since 1992, and I love the missionary life! God saved me at the age of seven and I've been learning more about Him ever since. He is so very gracious in my life, I cannot describe how wonderful it is to know His love. If you want to read more of my writing I have a blog in English ( thywonderfulworks.blogspot.com )  that I have put on hold recently and a blog in Spanish ( meditarenmaravillas.blogspot.com ) where I still post three times a week. 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...